Indoor Moisture Levels Are Related to Mold Growth

Controlling indoor moisture levels in Low Country can help eradicate mold.

Winter months bring on the heat, and that is nice to feel toasty warm on a cold day outside. But there could be issues year round that affect mold when it comes to keeping the right amount of humidity in a home or living environment. Indoor moisture is necessary to keep a home comfortable and to prevent dry air from affecting nasal passages and respiratory airways that can produce symptoms such as a dry cough.

Also, some people are susceptible to getting dry skin if the air in the home is too dry. For this reason, many homeowners use humidifiers to increase the amount of moisture in the air. That is a good idea, but it is still important to keep the humidity levels in the home in check at all times, to prevent the inopportune spread of mold and mold spores in the living areas of a residence.

Studies show that there are real connections between indoor moisture and dampness that leads to mold, and an increase in respiratory or allergic health issues in humans. There has been research that has focused on the treatment and detection of mold mycotoxins and fungi. Mold can be inhaled, have contact with a person’s skin, or be ingested if it is found on food that has been contaminated with mold spores.
The exposure to mold spores can have medical results for humans, such as experiencing:
•    Fatigue
•    Rashes
•    Coughs
•    Headaches
•    Other chronic symptoms related to DNA damage
•    Immunosuppression
•    Toxic exposure to carcinogenic agents present in the mold

The mycotoxins present by filamentous fungi include:
•    Aspergillus
•    Fusarium
•    Penicillium (blue-green mold)
•    Stachybotrys (green-black mold)

Most people will never actually see a mycotoxin, but could be affected by them nevertheless. Research has shown that Aspergillus might have a detrimental effect on the liver. These mycotoxins are aflatoxin and ochratoxin, and are seen as extremely dangerous types of mold fungus. If a person is identified as exposed to these molds, there are specific medical tests that can be administered to test definitively for mycotoxins, such as with the LC-MS/MS test and the Organic Acid Test. Both of these tests are non-intrusive tests that can be used to test conclusively for the presence of mycotoxins in the human body.

The treatment of mold exposure to mycotoxins will include removing mold from the home to allow the individual who has been exposed to mold to recover from the exposure to mycotoxins. When there is water damage in a home or building structure, it is always recommended that a professional remediation company be used to remove any mold from a home or office workplace environment. We are able to come to you 24/7 any time that you experience a mold problem. We know that mold can grow fast, and using DIY techniques to clean it up will actually increase the risk that the mold will spread. That is the reason to use the professionals, and we will come anytime that you call. We are ready to come to you any time of the day or night, and we can offer you peace of mind to know that your threat of mold will be reduced to zero after we are finished!